Fieldwork and Pre-practicum Experiences
Field experiences in schools and community organizations are an integral component of all the programs in our School of Education. Course assignments are linked to field experiences so you can apply what you’re learning to authentic work in schools and organizations. Field experiences are structured to offer you increasing responsibility as you progress through the program and to provide you with valuable professional experience in your chosen field. Some field experiences offer a stipend. The field settings are selected with care by our faculty in the School of Education and will engage you in varied and diverse urban and suburban experiences. Whether you’re interested in teaching a school, running a day care center or working in a community education program, the School of Education’s field experiences will connect you to opportunities that will help you build professional skills, develop your career path and make a difference in the world.
Fieldwork and Pre-practicum Placements
Salem State University collaborates with school districts in the region such as Salem, Melrose, Malden, Danvers, Reading, Revere, Chelsea, Newburyport, Amesbury, and Woburn. The specific grade levels available in each district are indicated below (this list is subject to change):
- Salem: Early childhood, elementary, middle, secondary
- Melrose: Early childhood, elementary, secondary
- Malden: Middle and secondary
- Danvers: Early childhood, elementary, secondary
- Reading: Early childhood, elementary, middle
- Revere: Early childhood, elementary, secondary
- Chelsea: Elementary, secondary
- Newburyport: Early childhood, elementary, secondary
- Amesbury: Early childhood, elementary
- Woburn: Early childhood, elementary
If you are affiliated with a school, community education program, or early childhood site, and have questions about developing a collaborative relationship with Salem State, please contact Francesca Pomerantz, professor and lead faculty for school and community partnerships.